Looks like my mom beat me to posting about this event... so I will just add a few more words and save the rest for Leah's missionary scrapbook that Mom is awesomely putting together for her.
Monday I drove down to SLC to pick her up from the airport... and what followed was a many monumental firsts: I managed the Utah traffic all by myself (totally not a fan at all of drivers going 90mph with only a single car space inbetween each vehicle... if you are lucky they give you that much room... sometimes they cut it even closer - if I was a cop I would park myself in SLC and make a million giving people speeding/reckless driving tickets haha); in order to be able to go in and meet my sister and help her with her luggage I braved the parking garage instead of waiting in line at the pick-up curb (who knew getting a timer ticket could be so challenging!?!); and last of all a miracle unheard of in this century.... I found Leah without the use of a cell phone. No way to communicate with her so I depended on the old-fashioned methods of strategic patient waiting and a default meeting spot (i knew she had to get her luggage and so I stayed near her baggage claim)... its like we can't see someone in a crowd unless we call their phone and go through techno Where's Waldo hints {has your plane landed? (because the FAA now allows phone calls during in-the air flights... not haha) are you off the plane? (because trusting the flight arrival status board is useless) where are you at? (cause if you can't see them yet... it couldn't possibly be that they just haven't made it to where you are yet) can you see me? I am under the big blue advertisement (chances are if they could see you they would tell you without you having to ask or they would just walk up to you)... watching all the other greeters in the airport do this to meet up with their traveling guests was very entertaining}. Made it all the more delightful when I watched her appear on the escalator and glide down to me! Precious, excited welcome hug!

Tuesday we spent most of the day in the temples! More special windy memories at Oquirrh Mountain temple and a long sunshiny time at the Bountiful temple. Comforting to know if she gets a chance to attend Bountiful (which is in her mission) on her P-Day she will be able to remember our special day together here.
Wednesday morning cousin Eric fixed us a delicious and deluxe waffle breakfast. Scrumptuous! And kept us laughing and cheerful with his funny reminiscings about his mission. Once we had everything all packed up and stuffed into her suitcases we said goodbye to Eric and started on our way down to Provo. Thanks to detailed Mapquest directions we made a stop at the Mount Timpanogos temple and an unscheduled accidental stop at the entrance to the National Forest there. Got to love spring time, greenery, and sunshine. Then with only a few hiccups we made it to the MTC and were quickly ushered into the line-up for drop-offs. There were many kind missionaries there to direct us and get us moved over to the appropriate spot. But it all happened so fast... much quicker than I imagined. There were Elders at our door to get her luggage and after a few moments for goodbye she was walking away with them. Farewell my brave, spiritual stalwart sister... see you soon!
A little more lonely driving back to Rexburg by myself.... but God put special songs on the radio for me that comforted my soul....* Time is Love ~ Josh Turner (the last country song Leah shared with me)
* Here Comes the Sun ~ Beatles (such a bright, cheerful song... happy because it reminds me of home... and listening to their album with Dad while doing home remodeling with him and Leah)
* Dancing Away with my Heart ~ Lady Antebellum "I haven't seen you in ages... Sometimes I find myself wondering where you are. For me you'll always be eighteen and beautiful And dancing away with my heart." (a beautiful haunting song... that matched my sad feelings when the tears kept coming back)
Farewell my tender-hearted sister. Be strong. Be happy. We love you! Falala
P.S. Thank you to our Grandpa McDavitt whose inspiring life of service helped encourage Leah to choose to serve a mission and his gift of a way with words that he passed on to me that made this entry much more lively.

No comments:
Post a Comment